Becoming a Photographer – when all you want to do is crochet

The time has come, the crocheter said, to talk of many things: Of shoes, and ships, and sealing wax, and taking good enough photos to add interest to my upcoming Etsy shop.  And this crocheter, is starting from ground zero with her photography skills.  I may as well be Alice on her journey in Wonderland as I venture around the internet in search of a magic potion that will turn me into an amazing photographer.

But alas, there is no such magic and the only way to get better, is to work at it, and take a whole lot of photos.

Which I intend to do.

I’ve read that outside is best for lighting.  But don’t take photos in direct sunlight.

Indoors is best for staging. But it’s hard to get the lighting correct.

Short of investing in a professional lighting studio, I’ll just keep on keeping on in hopes that practice really does make perfect.

its not what you do its how you make it yours

Good advice from the side of a cereal box this morning.

My breakfast this morning told me that it’s not what I do, but how I make it my own.  Good advice, I think. And good, bad or ugly, my photos will be my own. And they will be a reflection of my brand.  That’s the most important aspect of this whole thing.

So, it’s off to take more photos I go!

In the meantime, can you help a poor little crochet girl out?

Do you have any photography tips to share?  Do you prefer indoor or outdoor crochet photos?  And while we’re at it, for Etsy, is it best to add cute little items to the background or should it just be a selfie of the item I’m offering for sale?

Thank you in advance for any help in this matter.

Please share your thoughts, tips and ideas about taking the best crochet pictures in the comments section so we can all benefit!

This entry was posted in Branding, Business Topics, Crochet Business, crochet photography, Learning the Ropes at Etsy and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Becoming a Photographer – when all you want to do is crochet

1. Lucky Lucy says:

Hi Robin, I wish I had some great advice but my skills remain rather blah. I tend to be in a hurry, take a lot of pictures, try to find one good one. I delete a lot. I keep saying I am going to work on it. I did take a little on-line basics course several years ago when I invested in a high end camera. I did learn a bit but quite frankly end up using my little point-and-shoot camera mostly. I am looking forward to your adventure.

2. Robin says:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts LuckyLucy! From what I’ve been reading, taking a lot of photos is great advice!

I learned, after much practice, that the best photos are the ones you take in focus, but too far away from the item. Then, after downloading on your computer, you crop them. Don’t try to take “the perfect shot” with just the camera. Use photo shop!

Thank you Karen! That does sound like a better idea. Now if I only knew how to use photo shop… lol. I’m hopeless! No, really. It’s a learning curve but I’m up for it. Thanks for stopping by Karen!

You’ve seen my blog posts Robin so you’ve seen my pictures LOL! I recently bought a camera that has all of the auto focus and auto adjusting instead of using my android phone camera. That made my pictures better, but still not great. I don’t have an etsy shop so I really have no useful advice there, other than I like pictures that show blankets draped across chairs and clothing that someone is actually wearing. Good luck with your knowledge seeking quest! You seem to me to be a very determined, focused, and persistent person so I’m sure you are going to be taking some amazing pictures before too long!! 😀

Oh my, Tami. I’m blushing! Thank you for your kind words. I’m determined to get this stuff right and I really don’t want to open my Etsy store until I feel it will look the best I can make it. That said, I’m shooting for a May 1st opening.

I think your photos are fine. You are one talented lady and I do appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts… and your crochet photo preferences. It helps!

5. Great to hear you’re photographing more. My skills are pretty basic (lol), but I think you’re right about using daylight – something about natural light just magically illuminates fibre and reveals stitch definition and such really well. I also like to use interesting flat ‘backgrounds’ (whether paper or fabric) for my knits, but I’m not sure if Etsy-goers would find such things a distraction or not. Whichever choices you make, I’m sure they will be beautiful and original! 🙂

Thank you so much for your input and kind words, handmadehabit! I like your tip about using paper or fabric in the background. I’ll play around with that while I’m practicing.

6. Wishing you well with your photos and Etsy shop, Robin 🙂
    There’s also GIMP photo editing software, which is comparable to Photoshop.
    Lots of GIMP tutorials on YouTube, plus it’s a free download! 🙂 💜 Jackie@KWH