A Crochet Interview with Karen

A while back, I asked my readers to Spin Me A Yarn about their personal crochet journey. Today, I have the pleasure of introducing you to Karen from:
Karen Lynne Beads.

Karen has chosen to tell us about something she’s working on right now. Without any further distraction from me, here’s Karen!

Hi! My name is Karen.

I’ve been crocheting since I was about 8. I think that’s right. Over forty years. I figure I’ve got this down pretty good.

As I’ve always been fascinated by the idea, I decided to teach myself Tunisian crochet. Looked at BLOGs, watched some u-tube videos, bought the funny looking hook. I finally sat down and started to Tunisian crochet. Did a small sample and decided this wasn’t too bad. So, I grabbed some yarn from my stash and set out to make a scarf.

You know what? I hate this stitch. The scarf is wider then the sample was, and I’m running into the problem of how do you hold the hook? If I hold it where I usually do, then my fingers are in the way of the yarn on the hook. If I hold it farther down, it’s all awkward. And the stitches are not consistent. They are loose on the two ends, but too tight in the middle.

And it CURLS!!! What is up with that?

I’ve done about six inches. That’s not long enough for a scarf. It’s done in acrylic yarn so, even if I could get it to lie flat, it wouldn’t make a very good pot holder.

Ribbet!

Karen

Karen’s Creation!

Thank you so much, Karen, for sharing with me and my readers!  Personally, I think it looks pretty good!  I’m not sure how to make it stop curling though.

Anyone know how to help Karen with Tunisian crochet?  If you have any suggestions, please share them in the comments and be sure to let Karen know how   much you enjoyed reading her yarn.

If you’re interested in spinning a yarn for us, visit my Spin Me A Yarn post to learn how you can be featured in an interview here at Imperial Crochet.

This entry was posted in Interviews and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to A Crochet Interview with Karen

Thanks for posting my story, Robin. I had fun writing this for you.

2. Oh no! I love Tunisian crochet! Don’t give up on it. It does tend to curl but there are ways to fix that. Ironically, I just made some sleeves for a coat that I’m working on using Tunisian crochet. I hate the sleeves but not because of the Tunisian crochet. I picked the wrong color and it doesn’t work. And I agree that your attempt looks lovely and looks as it should look. There are different ways to hold the hook to make it less awkward. I should probably post more about this style of crochet. I think I will. 🙂

It has occurred to me that if I was a knitter, I night find holding the hook with yarn all over it more comfortable.

4. Robin says:

You might be on to something there, Karen. I tried knitting years and years ago. I prefer crochet but maybe I should try knitting again. I see so many beautiful things being knitted lately.

5. Hayley says:

My experience with Tunisian crochet is that it does tend to curl unfortunately. It’s worth sticking with though! There are a lot of pretty stitches that you can learn and you’ll find a way to hold the hook that works in time.

6. Miss Rebecca says:

Nice post! This is one of the reasons why I don’t bother with tunisian it was all curly 😦

7. Robin says:

I’ve never tried it. Not sure if I want to anymore.

8. I have always wanted to try Tunisian crochet. The swatch looks great (hopefully a little blocking will relax the curling?) 🙂

The Tunisian curls!! I thought when I first learned Tunisian that I was doing something wrong – it’s just one of those things. Try using a larger hook size. My biggest mistake was not knowing that for Tunisian you should go up at least one size larger than what the yarn recommends. There are other Tunisian techniques that aren’t as curly – Entrelac is lovely and doesn’t curl. It’s definitely a nice technique to add to your repertoire! Love the “Yarn” you spun! 😀

10. I read an article that recommended using a chainless foundation to begin a Tunisian project. I did try this and the curling was eliminated!