Keep It Simple… you know the rest

Lately, I’ve been having trouble trying to stay focused.  Between this blog, my Etsy shop, my home life, my hobby, my pet, and pretty much everything else going on, I feel like I’m dropping the ball… on everything.

I’m not someone who is clinically depressed but there has been a lot of sadness in my life over the last year and a half and sometimes I let it get me down.  I lost a younger sister and a soulmate cat who was in my life for 18 years.  And I miss them both terribly.

Okay… I’ll come completely clean.  I lost David Bowie too.

And he died the same way my dad did 10 years ago and exactly one month before my sister did.  And I miss my dad too.

Anyway… That’s not what this post is about.

Yesterday, I received an order I placed at Michael’s for a crap-load of Bernat Baby Blanket Tiny yarn.  I was really excited to get started using it by making a baby blanket for someone we know who just had a baby girl.

I searched online for a free pattern for a baby blanket that might be specific to the type of yarn and since it’s a new yarn type? size?  I found nothing.  So, I just grabbed a pattern for regular yarn and got started.  I have to say, I hated it!   I frogged what I could and tried another pattern and again, I did not like the way it looked.

No big deal.  I thought.  I’ll just use a few basic stitches and come up with something on my own.  I checked the recommended hook size for the yarn which happens to be US G/6 and got started again.

Oh boy!  This yarn is very thin, and the hook created a fairly tight chain, and with the fuzziness of the yarn, I couldn’t even see where to stick my hook in!  I was having a similar problem when I was trying to follow the patterns.

At this point I was getting really annoyed with myself for having bought so much of this yarn that I seem to HATE.

That’s when it hit me like a lightning bolt.

Keep it simple, stupid!

I grabbed a much bigger hook (US K/10.5) and started making a few rows of single crochet stitches.  When it comes to crocheting, it truly doesn’t get any simpler than that. And guess what?   It worked!

Because of the larger hook, I can see what I’m doing and I think it looks really good.  I’m now in LOVE with this soft, cozy, cloud-like, light-as-a-feather,  little yarn.

bernat baby blanket tiny yarn

What do you think?

With that problem solved, I realize that maybe I need to start simplifying my whole life this way.

So… from now on, If I’m busy or have nothing to say, I won’t be blogging.  And I won’t be beating myself up about it either.  I might even start a new category here that has nothing to do with crochet.  We’ll see.

And I’m not going to drive myself crazy about the shop either.  I sincerely want it to be fun.

Keep it simple is going to be my new mantra and mission statement for everything I do.

I’m going to stop putting so much pressure on myself and see what happens next.

Wish me luck!

In the meantime, one of the things I dropped the ball on here at the blog was my interviews.  I have a wonderful one lined up for next week.  Look for it to be posted on Tuesday.  And I’ll be sure to show off the baby blanket as soon as it’s done.

How about you?  What is your mantra?  How do you keep yourself motivated and moving in the right direction?  Share your thoughts in the comments.  I love hearing from my readers.

This entry was posted in Blankets, Patterns & Projects, Yarn Review and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Keep It Simple… you know the rest

Good Luck!!
    The last year and a half has been hard on me, too. I can honestly say it’s the worst time in my 51 years. I just keep telling myself that it will get better. Sometimes I even believe that. Just know that you’re not alone.

2. Miss Rebecca says:

Ahhhh it’s been awful for me also and even this year! I totally agree with your “keeping it simple” life’s waaaaaaay too short to over whelm. Have fun with the blanket!

3. Well now, first of all you have already identified what you need to do and how you plan to do it. That is really good. Finding ways to thrive after our professional lives change is really hard, no one tells you that. For at least a year you need to measure your time and commitment carefully to avoid the stage of life that makes us think that now we have all this time I can do this, that and then some!

Don’t be surprised if these melancholic feelings surface more than you expected as well. Change is the catalyst for this. No one tells you that either. I understand. I won’t bore you with the story but I know a few things after this time. Let it out, cry, scream, talk, pray. Find a diversion, maybe not 4 or 5, just one. Pour yourself into it. Find a soul mate in this endeavor. A person or a group that shares your passion will help soften the process. And the blog…use it as a journal, a personal record of your process and your projects. If others read, enjoy and share your journal, great. If you do it once a week or once a month so be it. It is your journal. I have been blogging for more than 10 years and just took it off line for a while because I want to change direction. I needed a break.

In closing, so sorry for the blah, blah, blah but I see myself in your words. If I can help anyone I will if not I wish you the best.

Keep it simple is one of the best strategies in life. Another that I think of often is “Take care of the little things and the big things will take care of themselves” – I’ve found this to be true on many occasions. I have been so fortunate to have had several years without any unexpected and unpleasant life changes. (knock on wood) I am grateful every day for that and always try to focus on the positive because I know that in the blink of an eye everything can change. Be sure to always take care of yourself. We are all here and not going anywhere, post as often as you can. If you need to vent, or journal or just post a picture of something that makes you happy – we are here. 🙂 Oh and I love Bernat Baby Blanket so I can just imagine how soft and sweet Baby Blanket Tiny is!!

That’s another great mantra Tami. “Take care of the little things and the big things will take care of themselves” And very true.
      The Tiny is so soft and light but I’m finding it almost impossible to frog if you make a mistake.

5. I have a song that helps me through almost anything. ‘I Will Survive’ by Gloria Gaynor. I apply it to everything that wants to bring me down. The reason it it works is because I believe it. I believe I will survive no matter what. I allow myself to wallow for a bit, I allow myself to be sad, mad, what ever I need to feel and then I pick myself back up and continue, all the while singing my song (sometimes in my head so people don’t think I’m crazy) with all the emotion I can muster. I can’t hear that song without wanting to jump up and sing!
    I, too, become a little overwhelmed by my list of creative things I want to do but my hubby keeps me grounded. He told me to have fun with my blog, my Youtube, etc. He reminds me that when it stops being fun and seems more like a chore, then I need to step back and examine what I’m doing. I took that to heart because in the beginning, I was putting too much pressure on myself. Being about fun doesn’t mean we don’t work hard at it. It just means that it’s on our own terms. And now I’m having fun even though I’m spending a lot of time writing and creating and learning. I can’t wait to write something for my blog, even when I have to squeeze it in before or after work. I can’t wait to try my hand at making another video.
    So make sure it’s all on your terms and enjoy the journey. When it becomes more of a chore you dread, it’s time re-evaluate. Sounds like you’re doing just that. Keep it simple. Sounds good to me. 🙂

Thank you Yolanda. My father gave me that same advice (as your husband) years ago. Not about blogging but writing in general. Smart men!

And I can’t think of a better song to set the pace of your life to. It’s a favorite of mine too!

Thanks for the reminders!

Keep it simple is a great plan. We all get overwhelmed by expectations, trying to measure ourselves against others. For me, I need to remember that man’s measure is not what concerns me, but God’s. That of course requires me to let go of my junk, and that is often, for me, a minute by minute, thing. I really do like running things myself, even when I know in my head and heart that there is someone eminently wiser, smarter and powerful who loves me beyond comprehension that will guide me through. Life is such a journey…keep it simple and keep walking, you will make it through! Hugs to you!

7. Big hugs, Robin. It is the hardest thing to lose loved ones. My new line of thought these days is “I am enough.” I try to remember that wherever I’m at (with a skill, or a project) is ok, and just where i need to be. This helps keep comparison and dissatisfaction from de-railing my motivation, and it gets me to focus on what I’m doing right and learn from the mistakes. 😉 Wishing you a beautiful weekend.

8. lyncrain says:

I’m in the same boat as you trying to juggle my love of writing and getting my second book finished for publication, juggling hosting our home as an Airbnb and gardening keeps me busy. I crochet for relaxation in the evenings but lately, that is stressing me too. I’m feeling overwhelmed every direction I go.
    I’m focusing on time management and planning my time better so I feel less stressed. I like the mantra keep it simple.
    I wish you success too.