Crochet Journal Entry Stardate 7/24/2017

Yeah, my hubby is a huge ORIGINAL Star Trek fan so by default, I get to watch A LOT of reruns.  Hah!  I don’t really mind.  It’s a good show.  And for lack of a better title for this post, I’ve created (recreated) Stardate entries for when I want to play catch up and share a bunch of stuff that’s unrelated to each other.

Quick and Merry CAL Update

I recently made a big deal about joining a CAL aka a crochet-a-long.  I was genuinely excited about it BEFORE I received the pattern last week and posted about it HERE.  I’m sorry to say that when I received it, the pattern did not inspire me as I’d hoped it would and I was disappointed in the way the CAL was set up. I suppose I was expecting more smaller tasks instead of what they sent.

Having never done one before, I’m not sure if it was just an unexciting one, or if I’d set my expectations about the experience too high but I just was not feeling it.

Not being a quitter, and being the mom who always insisted that my boys finish the season of whichever sport they were involved in… and hating at that moment, I started my project.  I even switched out one of the colors of yarn I chose to help get me into a better mood about the whole thing but that didn’t work either.

img_3110.jpg

If you’re doing the CAL, you already know that I picked the easiest alternative that was offered and I got about halfway through the required stitches for the week and then I broke my own rule.  I stopped.

I don’t know.  I might have been making my stitches too tight but… the piece was feeling very hard and not drapey at all.  For me, a big attraction to crochet is the texture.  I suppose I could have ripped the entire thing apart and started over with a larger hook but as I said, I wasn’t really feeling this pattern from the beginning.  And although it might soften in the laundry later on, in the spirit of Marie Kondo, it wasn’t bringing me joy right now.

Don’t get me wrong.  I’m happy that I signed up because I learned how to do Tapestry crochet which is something I’d never done before and now that I know how, will do again.  I just found the pattern uninspiring.  It’s cute, but it’s not something I’d want to use in my home.  We’re in process of downsizing so I decided not to continue making something that would just end up in a closet.

Never a yarn waster, I am going to turn it into something else… something I know we’ll use.  I’m planning to make another circle the same size and make it into a mat for my cat.  He’ll love it!

IMG_3060

Blog Update and Improvement

The other thing I wanted to share today is that I have begun a process of updating and improving my blog.

So far, I’ve changed my tagline at the top and updated my ABOUT page.  It definitely still needs more and I plan to continue working on it in the near future.

I think a blog evolves over time, or at least I think it should evolve into something you’re proud of that’s also useful to the people surfing the internet.

That said, I’m open to any tips or ideas you have that helped you create, or better organize, your own blog, if you have one.  Please feel free to share your ideas in the comment section.  I love hearing from my readers!

This entry was posted in CAL, Crochet Journal Entries, Loose Ends and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Crochet Journal Entry Stardate 7/24/2017

1. Yes, yes, and yes! I’m so with you, Robin (about the CAL) I actually packed my circle away yesterday 😕 I also had higher expectations…like you said more smaller tasks. But – we now know how to do the Tapestry stitch 😊 and have pretty yarn to turn into something lovely. Thanks for sharing. I’m glad to see I’m not alone in this 😋

Thank you Kristabella’s Hodgepodge! You’ve confirmed, for me, that it’s not just me who feels this way! I really do love and respect the Crochet Crowd and I hate to bash their CAL but I think this project was kind of a dud.

• That it was 🙁 I really wanted to like it, because – like you – I love The Crochet Crowd. When I put it away I told myself ‘it’s too hot to be sitting under a (growing) blanket 😏 but deep down I knew that it won’t be revisited

2. I’ve never done a CAL but I’m glad you didn’t continue to waste your time on something that wasn’t inspiring you. But I love that you both (Robin) still felt you learned something from it.
    Yikes! I think I need to go take a look at my ‘About’ page and see if it needs updating!

3. tonymarkp says:

I’m pretty certain that a lot of people abandon CALs totally unconsciously because they get tired of it or it didn’t meet expectations and they just abandon by picking up something else to make. As far as changing a blog or updating it, I just go with what I like and my ever-evolving interests as well as changes to those interests. You have a topic and an identity which are crochet and crocheter, respectively, so your blog can just represent you as a crocheter and all the things you like about crochet. All those things change or evolve over time so just let your blog follow that trajectory. Part of that is really easy because your posts and their subjects will pretty much shape your blog day by day. But, let’s say you find yourself returning over and over again to a particular subject. That might be worthy of highlighting, or composing a special post about it, or a button on your homepage. Go with what you like and what for you is important right now. It’s best that way because it will motivate you to keep writing your blog, which, in the end, is the only way to keep it alive and happy. Empty blogs are sort of like, I don’t know, non-blogs.

Thank you for excellent advice tonymarkp! You’re right, of course. I feel that I need to tighten my focus on this blog a little bit more so that I can better shape the future of it but going with what I like is best is absolutely the best way to guarantee that I don’t lose interest in it. Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.

Someone else said not too long ago, life is too short to do something you don’t enjoy , or something like that…good for you. I recently did a webpage/blog for my new business, and while it was a bit of a headache at first, I love that I now have stationary pages that don’t move, and a running ticker where I can stick important posts. It is half website half blog. WordPress has a lot of stuff available I’ve found! Just keep tweaking, and you’ll have what you want in no time.😄

5. Kate says:

I joined this crochet along, and to be honest, I wasn’t impressed with it, to thepoint that I didn’t even buy yarn to begin. Not all crochet alongs are like this, and The Crochet Crowd has run better ones. I just joined a Grease Crochet along, but I haven’t actually started yet, it looks more exciting. Like you my blog is still a work in progress. You’re doing great from what I’ve seen so far.

Thank you Kate! You were the smart one. 🙂 I wish I had waited to buy the yarn. I even bought an extra one to change the color. I’ll find something else to use that yarn on.

6. I confess I haven’t even started the CAL, it’s really rather uninspiring. I would quite like to learn how to do tapestry crochet, but I’ll probably wait for a project that I’m really excited about.

It was a good way to learn the Tapestry technique. I’m sorry I wasn’t the only one disappointed. I seem to think they shared this pattern last year. Or something similar? Not sure… but I know I saw something like it somewhere before. Oh well. Live and learn.

7. I like the crochet, it is very pretty.
    Your kitty is super cute. 🙂
    Enjoy the week and all the best. (from a Star Wars fan: May the force be with you!)

8. Pingback: My Crochet~Alongs – Past and Future 🔮 | Kristabella's Hodgepodge

I’ve seen several posts on this CAL and honestly I love the color combinations everyone was choosing but I really didn’t care for the design. The alternating round stripe pattern just looked headache inducing to me. I’m sorry you had such a disappointing experience. Especially because you spent money on it! I totally understand how when trying to run a crochet business every penny counts and every minute counts too!!!! Six months ago I would have been interested in joining a CAL but now I’m really finding more joy in coming up with my own designs, so to crochet a project that everyone else is doing really doesn’t appeal to me at all. I’ve also been toying with the idea of a website redesign but I don’t have a clear vision of what I want so I’m staying as is for now. I do need to review my about and other pages and update my gallery though. 😀