Sprightly Yarns – My Newest Yarn Obsession

I sprang for the kit and fell in love!

After seeing how cute they are, and knowing how popular her owl blankets are, I decided to grab a copy of the new Hooded Owl Poncho by MJ’s Off the Hook Designs.  The poncho has a cute owl face on it’s hood.

I’m making one for my granddaughter and since it was on sale, I decided to purchase the entire kit, instead of just the pattern.  I’m so glad that I did because I was introduced to Craftsy’s Sprightly yarn and I LOVE it.

sprightly yarns

I love Sprightly yarns!

Before I go any further I want to say that this post does NOT contain any affiliate links. I just really like using the yarn I got in the kit.

I like the way it drapes, and that isn’t only because of the hook size I’m using.  Part of the pattern calls for a hook size of 5.5mm and the other part calls for a 6.5mm crochet hook.

The yarn is a 4 worsted weight and they recommend using a 6mm hook so you can see that the hooks being used for the owl poncho create both a tighter and looser stitch than what is recommended.  Both are still giving me a nice drape.

Sprightly yarn is 100% acrylic, machine washable, made in Turkey and it’s sold in skeins that are 201 yards/ 184m 100 g/3.5 oz.

sprightly yarn used to make an owl poncho

Working on my Hooded Owl Poncho.

I haven’t quite finished my project – I decided I wanted to change out a couple of the colors that came in the kit-  but I’ve already ordered some more of this great yarn while it’s on sale.

How could I resist when I love it so much?

What is your all-time favorite yarn?

I’m finding that I have different favorites for different projects. Do you have a favorite type or a go-to brand?  Share your thoughts about yarn obsession in the comments.  I love hearing from my readers.

Color Names of the Yarns Shown Above

• Suede
  • Grass
  • Lagoon
  • White
  • Brown

I decided that I’d like the owl’s pupils to be black instead of the brown that came in the kit I chose.  I’m also changing the beak color.  Nothing wrong with the way it was presented and I was able to choose my colorway.  I simply changed my mind after receiving it.   I’ll share the completed poncho when I get it done.

This poncho pattern is also available for sale at Ravelry.

This entry was posted in Patterns & Projects, Yarn Review and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Sprightly Yarns – My Newest Yarn Obsession

I tend to use Caaron’s Simply Soft yarn.

This sounds pretty cute. My favorites are Knitpicks Stroll, and Knitpicks Dishie. One is wool and one is cotton, have loved work with both.

3. Hayley says:

Red Heart is my go to for most stuff because it’s inexpensive, has a nice range of colours and feels nice. My favourite brand is Sirdar hands down! They have such a wonderful range of different yarns and they’re always high quality!

4. I like sidar & Rico essentials

5. jo creates says:

I love scheepjes. have used several of their yarns and love them all! 😊

6. creativhook says:

I think that you change a very nice combination of colors! Bravo. I crochet and knitting for miniature dolls, and prefer soft yarn. I like tiny instruments, for example N 0000 of needles)))

7. Your granddaughter is one lucky kiddo 😀 I’m looking forward to seeing her Poncho. 🙂
    I do like RedHeart, because stitches show up real nice – it’s great for tutorials, but also for blankets and pillows. For wearables I prefer Caron Simply Soft and Red Heart Boutique 😍

I love the Caron soft too. I made both granddaughters blankets with Red Heart and it is holding up very well so I would definitely recommend it for blankets.

8. What ever’s cheapest or on such a good sale it’s the cheapest. Red Heart and Caron One Pound yarn are my favorites for my dolls, puppets and toys.

9. Isn’t it wonderful to find a new standby? One of my faves is Cascade 220 Heathers; I’m a big fan, as a relatively new knitter, of worsted yarns… just really versatile and pretty quick knitting. The owl poncho sounds interesting. Looking forward to seeing more, Robin. 🙂

The owl poncho is going to be adorable!! I use Red Heart or Caron Simply Soft for almost every project. When I can find it on sale I like a lot of the Loops and Threads yarns. I’m really loving the Red heart Unforgettable at the moment. I was unimpressed with the Caron Cotton – very disappointing. I’m going to do a mini review when I post about the Summer Fun sweater I finished over the weekend. 😀

11. I love that Orchid color. It is beautiful!!!

12. So far, Caron Cakes are my favourite yarn to use. So soft and squishy and with fabby colours!