What Does Going Viral Mean To You?

“Your most popular Pin! Drumroll, please…”

This morning, I opened an email from the people who are in charge of keeping an eye on my Pinterest account.  It said one of my pins had been pinned 26 times.  I was amazed to say the least.  Honestly, any photo over 5 times pinned is usually a good number for me so, twenty-six seemed truly incredible.

I don’t know why I even opened the email.  Let me explain.  I’m guilty of letting these types of social media emails pile up in my inbox only to be deleted en masse at a later date.  But I am really glad that I did open it because this news really made my day!

The pin in question is attached to my Imperial Crochet blog post from June 20, 2017, Pretty Crochet Border on my Call the Midwife Inspired Baby Blanket.

This is the photo:

pretty crochet border

Close up view of the border on my Call the Midwife Inspired blanket.

Wondering why a pin from June would be getting so much attention today, I decided to investigate the pin’s statistics further and was astounded to find this:

pinstatsimperialcrochet

These stats are amazing to me!

For me, compared to my usual pinning achievements, this one has gone viral. Yay!

To be honest, I did notice that many of the hits to my blog were going to that post but I didn’t realize they were coming from Pinterest.  I REALLY need to start paying better attention to these things.

I know by most people’s standards, this is pretty small potatoes but for me, this was as colossal as the amount of French Fries cooked at all-of-the Mickey Dee’s in one week.  Which leads me to my question:

How many hits to a post, or pin, do you think it takes to be considered a “viral” success?  I’m going with 1362 total engagements but that’s just me. And more importantly, can any of you tell me how I can do this again?

Thanks for stopping by and letting me brag a bit.

I’m so grateful to you and all of my readers!

This entry was posted in Borders, Business Topics, Social Media and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to What Does Going Viral Mean To You?

1. tonymarkp says:

That’s a difficult question you pose. Crochet and knitting are not the most popular hobbies and social media relies mostly on branding and all that marketing blahblahblah. I’d say in our world of being not very famous on the scale of Paris Hilton, maybe 12 hits counts as viral. Your number then is super viral.

2. MrsCraft says:

It’s beautiful, and well done. I think a lot of it is luck, some of my Instagram pics have had 1000 impressions and I can’t see how they are any better than my others lol. But be proud, and I’m sure it will happen again as you make lovely things!

3. I’ve still not sorted myself out with Pinterest, so I can’t really help! My most ‘viral’ blog post was about my preemie octopus, so maybe it takes the inclusion of something widely known (Call the Midwife in your case) to help them along

4. nanacathy2 says:

I don’t do anything apart from a blog and my Facebook which is not linked to the blog, but I think it’s because you called it Call the Midwife! Downton Abbey had the same effet for others I recall.

5. Sandi says:

Congrats!! Amazing work deserves to get noticed. I’ve noticed alot with pinterest you could search the same “keyword” 10 or more times and get different results each time. Its the luck of the draw. But as your pin gets more hits the more it will surface. Again Congrats 🙂

I read an article once, don’t remember the author, name, or title :(, but it was someone that teaches blogging. He said that for years he tried to get a post that went viral. It was hit or miss. He finally decided that it was better to get loyal followers.

7. That number definitely gives you bragging rights, Robin 😆 Congratulations!

8. Catherine says:

Amazing! I’ve got a couple of pins in the 100 odd, and I’m impressed with that, so your achievement is definitely viral in my book!

9. Emma says:

That’s super cool Robin! I have no idea why some pins are more popular than others, maybe a combination between the super pretty border and the colour? or did you put any key words maybe? I’ve never even checked how much my pins get seen 😂

Congrats, and I’m not surprised, that photo is just wonderful, shows the border so clearly and is a beautiful color. I had no idea you could see stats on your pins!

11. Be proud, be very proud. I went around telling everyone I was trending when I got 6 likes on Instagram from people other than family members and people I had to coerce to ‘like’ my posts. Now I’m cracking the 30 mark so I’m super trending. LOL Then, on Pinterest, three of my posts got a lot more pins than the others. My crochet dragon cloak, my crochet teeth and the one that surprised me the most was the hook caddy. I haven’t reached 100 pins yet but now I feel like I’m really really trending (at least for those three posts, the rest have just one pin and that’s probably me :-). I was hoping my dolls would be what would get more pins and instead it was the other stuff that’s more popular. But that’s ok since I loved making the other stuff too. Now I need to go look at my ‘engagements’. Never looked at those. 🙂

Congratulations Robin!!! That is awesome! Your pictures and crochet look so professional that it’s not surprising that you’re being pinned a lot. I remember I was insanely excited because one of my IG pictures was reposted by someone that has a lot more followers than I do. And I was literally squealing when I saw that Lion Brand Yarn liked one of my pictures!! I have barely tried to figure out Pinterest at all. I’m actually very terrible at social media. 😀